Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Favourite 45 (or 12"!) by Rowly, The Delays


Brought together by a shared love of The Stone Roses, The Verve and The Beatles, Southampton boys, The Delays have released three albums to date. Debuting in 2004 with ‘Faded Seaside Glamour’, ‘You See Colours’ followed in 2006 and their latest ‘Everythings The Rush’ arrived in 2008. Their 2004 Rough Trade single ‘Long Time Coming’ is a regular choice spin at RSG! indie do’s.

RSG recently caught up with drummer Rowly (pictured first left) and asked him to pick one of his favourite platters from his record collection and he came up with this psychedelic monster from the Verve.


Verve - She's a Superstar (Hut)


"Verve (pre 'the') were the first band I ever got really passionate about" claims Rowly, "I was just that bit too young to have heard the Roses when they came out (Black Lace were more my cup of tea at the time!) so by the time my tastes had moved away from Hawaiian shirted pineapple pushers the latest thing was the shoegaze scene”.

“I loved (and still love) a lot of those bands and I think there was some fucking great records made then but when I saw a Verve feature on 'Rapido' (arts show hosted by the Eurotrash guy) I fell for them above all others instantly. They had a sonically beautiful sound, a star frontman with an amazing voice and they could properly groove, a combo I didn’t know was possible!”

"I played the debut single 'All In The Mind' to death so the morning 'She's A Superstar' came out I ran to the record shop first thing, then ran home (faster), all the while staring at the cover which was like a waterfall on another planet (cool.)”

“There’s no way of describing music this good, other than to say to this day I don’t think a record has caused a firework show in my head like when I put the headphones on, cranked the volume and played this for the first time. Certainly not until another Northern band with a similar swagger and self belief released 'Live Forever' a couple of years later, but that’s my favourite 12"”.

Thanks Rowly for taking time out to talk to us. Keep coming back to RSG! for more great 'My Favourite 45' selections from our special guests. If you would like to take part or add your comments on the tracks featured to date, why not drop me a line? soulboy_69@yahoo.com

For more news on the Delays check out

thedelays.co.uk and check out the video to one of our favourite Delays tracks 'Long Time Coming' below.





1 comment:

Ă€ngel 'Soulbizarre' said...

greetings from CATALONIA Barcelona
ready steady go!