Sunday, February 22, 2009

My Favourite 45 by Lewis Wharton, Little Barrie


Little Barrie have been knocking about for awhile now churning out their own unique brand of funky, bluesy rock for the modern age. You may have seen singer Barrie – with his cool 70s Keef Richard’s hair do – rockin’ and a rollin’ with the current Primal Scream live set up. The funked up threesome are currently working on their third album with a new single due later this year. Their early Stark Reality 7” singles are to be given a limited re-issue soon, so if you missed ‘em first time round, keep an eye out on mail order sites like Juno Records, to make sure you catch ‘em.

Bass player Lewis Wharton, kindly took time out to contribute to our ever popular ‘My Favourite 45’ series, where we ask our favourite movers and shakers to pluck a 45rpm single from their record collection and wax lyrical about it for a minute or so. If you would like to comment or contribute to this series we would love to hear from ya!

The Cramps - Surfin Bird / The Way I Walk (Vengeance)

"To be honest I can take or leave the A-side (Surfing Bird), I prefer the Trashmen's original version but it's all about the B-side (The Way I Walk), and the artwork. This is The Cramps first single, they put this out themselves on their own 'Vengeance' label, the sleeve is just thin matt paper that has been screen printed on both sides but the effect is really cool. Probably the coolest record cover I've ever seen. I think they only pressed 6,000 copies, a lot of which went to radio stations in the US so I'm lucky to have found one over here, and the best thing that I was able to swap it for a load of records I didn't want anymore so it feels like I got it for nothing".

"'The Way I Walk' isn't really a dancefloor filler but it's one of the coolest sounding records you'll ever hear!"


For more info on Little Barrie check out littlebarrie.com. Meanwhile, check out the video of early track ‘Free Salute’ below.



No comments: