Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Favourite 45 by Pete Collison, The Fantastics!


THE FANTASTICS! are the latest UK nu-funk sensations featuring Greg Boraman (Hammond Organ & Electric Piano), Pete Collison (Guitar), Raydn Hunter (Bass), James Rule (Drums) along with Mark Norton (Sax & Flute) and Matt Wilding (percussion). They have enlisted soul singer Noel Mckoy to sing on a couple of tracks on their new album including a stomping funky update on the Small Faces, ‘I Can’t Dance With You’.

You may remember the band from their previous incarnation as the Rev Cleatus & The Soul Saviours and you may have heard them on Craig Charles Funk and Soul radio show recently. Their debut album ‘Mighty Righteous’ is released on March 9th on Freestyle Records.

Guitarist Pete Collison took time out to contribute to our ever growing ‘My Favourite 45’ collection and came up with this funky take of the Carole King penned classic, ‘I Feel The Earth Move’.

Ivan 'Boogaloo Joe' Jones
I Feel the Earth Move (Prestige)


“Why is this my favourite 45? Well, for starters there's a few things that made me know I'd like it before I'd even put it on my turntable; that classic Prestige pointy arrow logo being one, and the knowledge of Bernard Purdie sitting behind one of the great Prestige "bands" being another. Then of course there was the fact that Boogaloo Joe would be letting rip with some sort of finger slashing blues somewhere”.

“The first time I played this 45 I was in that fortunate position of never having heard the tune before, which made it even better. By the time Joe had finished that solo I was (and still am) knocked out cold, and I'm still banned by my girlfriend from listening to it whilst driving! There's a load of influences in there , but it's Joe's own rapid fire take on the blues that gets me every time I hear him - gets me everytime!! Then there’s that Hammond solo, and Bernard Purdie of course - a band is only ever as good as its drummer..."

"But more important than any solo or technical abilities is the feel and vibe of a band, and it feels like everyone is having the time of their life on this tune. In fact there's not much that can top it for me - except for the full length version on Joe's "What It Is" LP - now that's an album and a half!”

Thanks to Pete for a great contribution! You can purchase a physical format of the new album
here. Check out the 'Soul Child' single featuring Noel McKoy on lead vocals below. For more news and info on the Fantastics check out their website thefantastics.co.uk

No comments: