Sunday, June 1, 2008

My Favourite 45 by Paolo Hewitt, Author


The Ronettes – Be My Baby

Ace author and wannabe Soprano(!), Paolo Hewitt, reveals why he digs those fabulous sixties girl group sounds…

(To be spoken in a Soprano voice...)

“Everyone is talking at me, telling me their fave rave on 45. What the fuck. I gotta disagree wit all of them because round here at Paolo's, the greatest single ever made is quite simply Be My Baby by The Ronettes”. ”Why? Why the fuck not? You got something better? No you haven't and you know why? Because it don't get no better than this. From that drum beat at the start, the way the instruments kick in, those lyrics…”

”For every kiss you give me / I'll give you three”

“…the production, the singing, the way those three girls look with their tight dresses and their haircuts and their brown flashing eyes, Jesus, breaks my heart every time. And that's the point. I have never heard this record and gotten tired off it. Never”.

“You hear some tunes you like a lot and then they come on the radio once more and you think, okay enough already. Not with this baby you don't. It is just pure beautiful magic all the way. Now stop breaking my balls and let me get back to serving people. Okay. What the fuck do you want meatball?"

Paolo Hewitt has written dozens of great novels and biographies. RSG! highly recommends ‘The Soul Stylists’ and ‘The Sharper Word’, two essential items for anyone with a love of Mod fashion and culture. You can purchase these and lots more by using the link below.





No comments: