Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My favourite 45 by Ian Moore, Comedian

Last month, on a night out at Jongleurs, I had the pleasure of stumbling across a comedian called Ian Moore. Not only is Ian one of the funniest comics I have seen, he is also a lover of all things Mod and a massive music fan to boot.

Ian has kindly taken the time out to contribute to our 'My Fave 45' series and he has plumped for this Small Faces related classic from 1968.


PP. Arnold - (If You Think You're) Groovy (Immediate)

"I once tried to finish with a girl by using Woody Allen’s convoluted joke about ‘needing the eggs’, about halfway through the object of my dwindled desire was so confused she decided to finish with me instead because I was ‘doin’ ‘er ‘ead in’".

"The moral of the story is, if you’re going to break up with someone, make it short, sweet and first. However, if you’re not one for advice, try using this absolute belter from PP Arnold & The Small Faces. Written by the criminally underrated Marriot & Lane, it shows that the Small Faces were much more than just another British R&B band".

"Beginning with a pastoral mix of guitar and flutes, Arnold laments that she is being held back by her relationship, at which point Kenny Jones’ drums wake her from her reverie and she kicks off big time with the help of Marriot on backing vocals. It is quite simply sumptuous".

If somebody dumped me like that I’d be bloody honoured".

I.Moore April 2008

Check out Ian's website for tour dates and lots more info @ www.ianmoore.info/.
Watch PP Arnold blasting out this classic song courtesy of youtube below...

No comments: